Flower Color Pink Common Name Allium Botanical Name Allium Schubertii Light Requirements Full sun Bloom Time Late Spring to Early Summer Estimated Mature Height 16-18" tall Optimal planting spread 3-6" wide Planting Season Autumn Planting Depth 6-8 Inches deep Soil Moisture Average
DetailsAlliums offer a wide diversity of color, height and blooming times. They will tolerate a poor garden soil and love the sun. Many species bloom in early summer - just after the spring-flowering period and just before the exuberant full bloom of summer. All species can be used in the border. Certain small species are just perfect for a rock garden, and several lend themselves to naturalizing.
Allium bulbs are definite winter growers. Alliums need a sunny position in well-drained soil where the bulbs can be allowed to dry out in the summer months. In areas with damp summers, you can lift the bulbs in summer and grow them either in a bulb frame or in pots so that they can dry out. Alliums are mostly very hardy and easy to grow but take note that Schubertii is particularly sensitive to frost.
How to grow Allium Bulbs:
1. In the Fall, choose a spot that is somewhat sunny and has nicely well-draining soil.
2. Planting allium bulbs is fairly simple. Bulbs look much like a small onion, with wiry roots growing out of one site and a spike on the other. Plant with the roots pointing down and the spike pointing up.
3. Follow the rule of thumb when planting bulbs and give the bulbs at least 2 times their height of soil above them. Dig a 3-4 inch deep hole, drop the bulb into it and cover with soil.
4. Regarding the spacing between bulbs, if planting in beds, leave approx 3 inches between each cluster of bulb. If you are planting in containers, you can space them a little closer together.
5. After planting, water well so that the soil above the bulbs settles.
6. Allium bulbs will flower in the late Spring. After the flowers die down, the plant can enjoy a warmer rest period. You don't have to water too much during this rest period. Leaves will also die back and at this point, you can choose to tidy up the plant and remove the old leaves or just let nature take its own course.
- Shipping Info
WHEN WILL THIS ITEM SHIP?
Fall Planted bulbs are shipped from September through December.Orders placed before Sept 15:Expect your order to arrive mid September at your location.Orders placed Sept 15 to Dec 15:Orders are shipped the same week that they are placed.