Flower Color Blue Common Name Camassia Botanical Name Camassia Esculenta Light Requirements Full sun Bloom Time Late Spring to Early Summer Estimated Mature Height 26-30" tall Optimal planting spread 3-6" wide Planting Season Autumn Planting Depth 6-8 Inches deep Soil Moisture Average
DetailsCamassias grow best in soil which has sufficient nutrients and is not too dry but drains off quickly in the winter. Naturalizing is possible in climatic zones 5-7. The various species have a very natural look and fit in perfectly between perennials, both in borders and among ground covers.
Camassia are native to North America. A genus of only 5 species, they have long, narrow leaves and the Esculenta variety has bluish violet starry flowers. Although you can't tell by its name, camassia are members of the hyacinth family. They make make large clumps that flower freely in early summer and are quite hardy. They don't require a hot, dry, dormant period in summer like many other bulbous plants. They thrive in moist soils and can be treated much like border perennials.
How to Grow Camassia Bulbs:
1. In the Fall, choose a spot that is mostly sunny or has only partial shade.
2. Planting camassia bulbs is fairly simple. Bulbs look much like a small onion, with wiry roots growing out of one site and a spike on the other. Plant with the roots pointing down and the spike pointing up.
4. Follow the rule of thumb of planting bulbs that bulbs need at least 2 times their height of soil above them. Dig a 4-5 inch hole, drop the bulb into it and cover with soil.
5. Regarding spacing between bulbs, if planting in beds, leave approx 8-10 inches between each bulb. If you are planting in containers, you can cluster them a little closer together.
5. After planting, water well so that the soil above the bulbs settles.
6. Camassia bulbs will flower in the early summer. After the flowers die down, the plant can enjoy a warmer rest period. You don't have to water too much during this rest period. Leaves will also die back and at this point, you can choose to tidy up the plant and remove the old leaves or just let nature take its own course.
- Shipping Info
WHEN WILL THIS ITEM SHIP?
Fall Planted bulbs are shipped from August through October.Order placed before Aug 1st:Excpect your order to arrive beginning of September at your location.Order placed Aug 1st through Oct15:Please allow 2-3 weeks delivery time from Holland after placing your order.