Flower Color Blue Common Name Chionodoxa Botanical Name Chionodoxa Lucilea Light Requirements Full sun Bloom Time Early to Mid Spring Estimated Mature Height 4-6" tall Optimal planting spread 3-6" wide Planting Season Autumn Planting Depth 6-8 Inches deep Soil Moisture Average
DetailsChionodoxa self-seed freely under trees or shrubs and are one of the earliest bulbs to bloom in the Spring. They are excellent for rock gardens, in the front of raised beds or they can be forced indoors. Excellent naturalizers!
Related to scilla, chionodoxa bulbs have about 7 species in total and are native to western Turkey, Crete and Cyprus. Definite winners for a mediterranean climate but grow nicely in other zones too. Their flat blue flowers are delightful! Plant chionodoxa bulbs in the fall in a semi-shaded or not too sunny location. Take care not to situate them in a location that will become overly hot and dry in the summertime when the bulbs are dormant. Chionodoxa are great for naturalizing under deciduous shrubs.
How to grow Chionodoxa Bulbs:
1. In the Fall, choose a spot that is somewhat sunny and has reasonably well-draining soil.
2. Planting chionodoxa bulbs is fairly simple. Bulbs look much like a small onion, with wiry roots growing out of one site and a spike on the other. Plant with the roots pointing down and the spike pointing up.
3. Follow the rule of thumb when planting bulbs and give the bulbs at least 2 times their height of soil above them. Dig a 3-4 inch deep hole, drop the bulb into it and cover with soil.
4. Regarding the spacing between bulbs, if planting in beds, leave approx 3 inches between each cluster of bulb. If you are planting in containers, you can space them a little closer together.
5. After planting, water well so that the soil above the bulbs settles.
6. Chionodoxa bulbs will flower in the Spring. After the flowers die down, the plant can enjoy a warmer rest period. You don't have to water too much during this rest period. Leaves will also die back and at this point, you can choose to tidy up the plant and remove the old leaves or just let nature take its own course.
- Shipping Info
WHEN WILL THIS ITEM SHIP?
Fall Planted bulbs are shipped from August through October.Order placed before Aug 1st:Excpect your order to arrive beginning of September at your location.Order placed Aug 1st through Oct15:Please allow 2-3 weeks delivery time from Holland after placing your order.