Flower Color White Common Name Leucojum Botanical Name Leucojum Gravetye Giant Light Requirements Partial Shade / Full sun Bloom Time Early to Mid Spring Estimated Mature Height 16-20" tall Optimal planting spread 3-6" wide Planting Season Autumn Planting Depth 6-8 Inches deep Soil Moisture Average
DetailsThis is the universally known species that naturalizes very easily, especially in moist soil that supplies sufficient nutrients (climatic zones 4-7). Either a sunny location or one with some shade will do. The flowers are pendulous and bell-shaped; the leaves wither six weeks after the flowering period.
Leucojum Gravetye Giant (Snowflakes)
Leucojum, also known as snowflakes, are much loved for their pendant bell-shaped flowers. They are very hardy and need plenty of moisture so plant in full sun or semi-shade in a site which does not dry out excessively in the summer. Leucojum do well in clay soil and also in sandy soil if plenty of hummus is mixed in.
How to Grow Leucojum Bulbs:
1. In the Fall, choose a spot that gets quite a lot of light and has good soil drainage.
2. Planting leucojum bulbs is fairly simple. You'll notice when you receive your bulbs that they look like mini onions and it will be easy to see that the spike should point upwards when planting.
3. Usually the rule of thumb when planting bulbs is that bulbs need at least 2 times their height of soil above them. Dig a 2 to 3 inch deep hole, drop the bulb into it (remember, spike points up!) and cover with soil.
4. Regarding spacing between bulbs, if planting in beds, leave approx 4 inches between each bulb. If you are planting in containers, you can cluster them a little closer together.
5. After planting, water well so that the soil above the bulbs settles.
6. Leucojum bulbs will flower in the Spring. After the flowers die down, the plant can enjoy a warm rest period. You don't have to water too much during this rest period. Leaves will also die back and start to yellow. At this point, you can choose to tidy up the plant and remove the old leaves.
Snowflake flowers are absolutely charming mixed into a bouquet or in a low vase. It will not hurt the plant to cut the flower, so don't hesitate if you prefer to enjoy the blooms in a vase.
- Shipping Info
WHEN WILL THIS ITEM SHIP?
Fall Planted bulbs are shipped from September through December.Orders placed before Sept 15:Expect your order to arrive mid September at your location.Orders placed Sept 15 to Dec 15:Orders are shipped the same week that they are placed.