Flower Color White Common Name Ornithogalum Botanical Name Ornithogalum Arabicum (Arabian Starflower) Light Requirements Full sun / Partial shade Bloom Time Mid to Late Spring Estimated Mature Height 18-24" tall Optimal planting spread 3-6" wide Planting Season Autumn Planting Depth 6-8 Inches deep Soil Moisture Average
DetailsOrnithogalums grow from clusters of small bulbs. The flowers have 6 Regular Parts. They like sun and well-drained soil. Ornithogalum species are trouble free, easy to grow and suitable for containers.
Ornithogalum Arabicum (Star of Bethlehem or Arabian Starflower)
Ornithogalum, with its pretty white flowers is a close cousin to the Hyacinth. Although its hard to tell by its name, when you see its spiked clusters of perfectly formed blooms, you'll no doubt recognize the family resemblence.
How to Grow Ornithogalum Bulbs:
1. In the Fall, choose a spot that is sheltered, sunny and warm, with reasonably well-draining soil.
2. Planting ornithogalum bulbs is fairly simple. You'll notice when you receive your bulbs that they look like mini onions and it will be easy to see that the spike should point upwards when planting.
3. Usually the rule of thumb when planting bulbs is that bulbs need at least 2 times their height of soil above them. Ornithogalum arabicum bulbs are fairly large however, so we also want to make sure not to go too deep. Dig a 3 to 4 inch hole, drop the bulb into it (remember, spike points up!) and cover with soil.
4. Regarding spacing between bulbs, if planting in beds, leave approx 6 inches between each bulb. If you are planting in containers, you can cluster them a little closer together.
5. After planting, water well so that the soil above the bulbs settles.
6. Ornithogalum bulbs will flower in the Spring. After the flowers die down, the plant can enjoy a warm rest period. You don't have to water too much during this rest period. Leaves will also die back and start to yellow. At this point, you can choose to tidy up the plant and remove the old leaves.
Ornithogalum Arabicum make absolutely beautiful and very long lasting cut flowers! In the florist world, they are more commonly known as Star of Bethlehem and are popular for weddings. It will not hurt the plant to cut the flower, so don't hesitate if you prefer to enjoy the blooms in a vase.
- Shipping Info
WHEN WILL THIS ITEM SHIP?
Fall Planted bulbs are shipped from August through October.Order placed before Aug 1st:Excpect your order to arrive beginning of September at your location.Order placed Aug 1st through Oct15:Please allow 2-3 weeks delivery time from Holland after placing your order.