Flower Color Blue Common Name Scilla Botanical Name Scilla Siberica (Landscaper Special) Light Requirements Full sun / Partial shade Bloom Time Early to Mid Spring Estimated Mature Height 4-6" tall Optimal planting spread 3-6" wide Planting Season Autumn Planting Depth 3-4 Inches deep Soil Moisture Average
DetailsScilla is a large genus in the Hyacinthaceae family with most species found in Europe, North Africa and western to central Africa. Some prefer part shade that doesn't dry out in summer and others prefer sun with summer dry. Scilla Bulbs are great for borders and fast at naturalizing if left undisturbed. Scilla flower bulbs are perfect for manicured and natural gardens plus many are fragrant.
Scilla Siberica Landscaper Special
Scilla are much loved for their blue-flowering spring squills. They should be planted in early fall in well draining soil. They prefer semi-shaded sites in humus-rich soil and will take full sun as long as the soil doesnt become dust dry in the summer or the bulbs will shrivel.
How to Grow Scilla Bulbs:
1. In the Fall, choose a spot that gets quite a lot of light and has good soil drainage.
2. Planting scilla bulbs is fairly simple. You'll notice when you receive your bulbs that they look like mini onions and it will be easy to see that the spike should point upwards when planting.
3. Usually the rule of thumb when planting bulbs is that bulbs need at least 2 times their height of soil above them. Dig a 2 to 3 inch dee[ hole, drop the bulb into it (remember, spike points up!) and cover with soil.
4. Regarding spacing between bulbs, if planting in beds, leave approx 4 inches between each bulb. If you are planting in containers, you can cluster them a little closer together.
5. After planting, water well so that the soil above the bulbs settles.
6. Scilla bulbs will flower in the Spring. After the flowers die down, the plant can enjoy a warm rest period. You don't have to water too much during this rest period. Leaves will also die back and start to yellow. At this point, you can choose to tidy up the plant and remove the old leaves.
Scilla flowers are absolutely charming mixed into a bouquet or in a low vase. It will not hurt the plant to cut the flower, so don't hesitate if you prefer to enjoy the blooms in a vase.
- Shipping Info
WHEN WILL THIS ITEM SHIP?
Fall Planted bulbs are shipped from September through December.Orders placed before Sept 15:Expect your order to arrive mid September at your location.Orders placed Sept 15 to Dec 15:Orders are shipped the same week that they are placed.